The GL Account Type, Subtype1, and Subtype2 are pick lists on the GL Account that are used to classify GL Accounts for easier reporting in Salesforce Native reports. Please note the following:
- There are three general ledger account types: Balance Sheet, Revenue and Expense. Accounting Seed does NOT support adding your own values.
- Sub Type 1 is dependent on Type.
- The values (Assets, Liabilities, and Owners Equity) associated with the Balance Sheet value in the Type field are NOT customizable either.
- The values associated with the Revenue and Expense values in the Type field can be customized
- Sub Type 2 is dependent on Sub Type 1, and all values are customizable.
Creating Subtype Values
You can customize subtype 1 and subtype 2 picklist values through the GL Account object setup in Salesforce. Follow these steps to do this:
- Navigate to the create tab in the Build menu.
- Select “objects”.
- From objects select GL Accounts.
- From GL Account (Managed) scroll down to custom fields and relationships and click either the subtype 1 or subtype 2 field.
- Scroll down to the Picklist section and click new to add new picklist values.
When creating gl accounts, the subtype 1 and subtype 2 values that are returned in the picklist for both fields are dependent upon the type (subtype 1) and subtype 1 (subtype 2) selected. New values that are created for either subtype 1 or subtype 2 must be associated through field dependencies. Follow these steps to create a field dependency:
- Navigate to the Create link in the Build menu.
- Select “objects”.
- From custom “objects” select GL Accounts
- From GL Account(Managed) scroll down to custom fields and relationships and select either type or subtype 1.
- Scroll down to field dependencies and click the edit link.
- Double-click the value(s) you would to associate with a particular type or subtype 1 value.
- Click include value(s) to add the new value to the picklist